Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Pleasures of Heaven and the Forbidden Fruit (and also, Batman)


I've tasted the forbidden fruit and I enjoyed its juices. Back in February - if you read this blog - you'll recall I posted about how Amazon advertised a free Kindle app for Blackberry. I was also let down when I learned that my Blackberry Curve model wasn't compatible for the Kindle app. About a month or two ago, I discovered that Amazon was now offering more free Kindle apps for iPad and PC, plus more apps for phones. So I downloaded the app for my Acer Aspire One netbook. While I still love the idea of holding onto a book and turning pages, I also like the idea of free ebooks that I normally wouldn't buy a hardcopy of. 

And while life continued on with my Kindle for PC app, I was still feeling sullen that I couldn't download the one for Blackberry. Then the worse happened. My Blackberry Curve died - well, the trackpad anyway. Having to replace it and every app I downloaded, I spied the Kindle app mocking me. Still, I decided to download it and try out - and guess what! It worked!

So now I can kill time with a copy of an H.G. Wells classic while I wait in line anywhere I go. Which is more than I can say with the copy of Heaven by Lisa Miller, which I received in the mail yesterday. The book sparked my interest when I read an article by the author shortly before the book was released. Not to mention my ever growing anxiety of dying and pondering what happens after. I didn't buy the book as a way to seek enlightenment, but to understand our obsession fascination with the idea of an afterlife. 

I also learned I won two bids on eBay: a four book collection of Mario Puzo books and all six issues of Batman: The Widening Gyre by Keven Smith. I'm also bidding on a 26-book lot of erotica books which some asshole keeps outbidding me. Which is okay. Because that's money saved and less books I have to worry about.

That, by the way, is my way of coping with the loss. Until next time, keep on huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment