Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Stick a fork in him, he's done

There comes a point in when all readers begin to wonder if their favorite authors are just messing with them. Jeff Lindsay has never been one of my favorites, but his character Dexter Morgan hits close to home - not that I live a double life as a serial killer, or anything. 

Maybe I'm still upset that the metaphorical dark passenger was ruined for me in book three, when it became something a little more sinister and occultish. I like the Showtime version of the character much better. 

So why did I continue with the series? Because I like verbal abuse and when I start something, I see it through the end no matter how awful the end is. It's probably why I'm looking forward to Double Dexter, which hits shelves next month - once again, coinciding with the new season.

Perhaps, the returning of brother Brian lends a hand to the upcoming novel's plot. Who knows. I don't. Maybe Lindsay knows, but I doubt it anymore. I'm just bitter. I think. I don't know. Reviewing this shit is hard.

Anyway, on with the show, shall we? Dexter is Delicious opens the day of Lily Anne's birth - this would be little Harrison's counterpart in the literary world. Dexter begins to feel things, becoming slightly more human than he's ever been - and it's not fake. He feels eyes on him. He turns and sees someone leaving but gets there too late. Deborah calls him. Blood bath. Missing girl. Something about vampires then cannibals then a girl's wish to be eaten. Somewhere along the line, Brian returns. Becomes one of the family. Seemingly connect to the cannibal BBQs. Deborah's getting maternal. Chutsky makes a couple of appearances. Dexter is captured, more than once. For some odd reason, Doakes still stalks around - shouldn't this guy be forced into retirement by now? Bad guys think they have the upper hand. Dexter decides not to give up the dark life. The book ends.

I mean, you'd think after all the things and supernatural entities that have been bestowed upon Dexter Morgan, he's be a little more sensible and not get caught. Still, he walks into the obvious traps, his demonic buddy has temper tantrums and Jeff Lindsay's blowing our money on something other than writing lessons. Not that he needs them. I mean, he has writing skills. It's telling stories that he has problems with.

Never the less, there were some things that kept me reading. Namely, Dexter's absolute human affection for daughter Lily Anne and Brian's sudden need to be with family. 

As for me, I'm gonna attempt reading Teressa Iezzi's The Idea Writers: Copywriting in an New Media and Marketing Era. Until next time, keep on huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment