Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Expecting Book Hunter

One of these is not like the other...
Two weeks ago, Jyg announced to me that she might be pregnant. Three tests later - one home pregnancy, another walk in clinic and a final test with an actual doctor present - we now know that it's not just a possibility anymore. So in all good book hunter, I set off to find the books of guidance and wound only  buying one helpful book, a baby name book - which we don't need because we had names picked out since the beginning - a book whose title I didn't read real well when I dropped it into my Amazon shopping cart and a book that has nothing to do at all with the subject of child care

I already cracked open Eating Well When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff with Sharon Mazel because - not to belittle Jyg's culinary skills - I'm the cook in this family. Besides, it might get me to eat healthy as well if I'm the one responsible for the meals. I do plan on purchasing What to Expect When You're Expecting if Jyg's sister doesn't already have a copy to lend us. Although, several men on Amazon have already stated letting your loved one read that book might be disastrous on our psyche. They suggested reading the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. I thought I was purchasing the male equivalent to What to Expect When You're Expecting - What To Expect When Your Spouse Is Expecting - when I picked up What to Expect When You're Wife is Expanding, but...well, the title alone tells you my fault.

As usual, I also had a book on queue for my would-be budding writing career - current situations, however, might put that on hold indefinitely). Just to keep me motivated, I picked up The Idea Writers by Teressa Iezzi.  A couple of people have urged me in this direction in the past, so I finally sucked up whatever pride I had and decided to look into it. As for the Cool Names for Babies book, well, that's also for my writing. A writer can only use a certain name a number of times before people get suspicious, you know.

What does all this news mean for the book hunter? Well, at the moment it's hard to tell. I do have over five hundred books in my personal library, plus whatever I have on my Kindle. So for the moment, hunting might be a luxury I can no longer afford. But reviews, my friends. Those are always free. Until next time, keep on huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment