Friday, September 30, 2011

Crazy Emma by Brandie Buckwine

In college, I overheard a conversation two co-eds were having about a mutual "gay" friend. I say "gay" and not gay because of his bad habit of approaching unsuspecting ladies and grabbing their - well - butts. He'd then mock surprise, "Oops. I thought you were my friend. Sorry." I imagined he'd say this in some stereotypical gay fashion. 

Not sure what that anecdote has to do with Brandie Buckwine's short story, "Crazy Emma," but it did remind me of it. The "gay" never took home any of these women to make him un-gay, so you can draw the line anywhere you want.

Is it wrong to call an erotic story cute? Because that's what it is. Cute. Adorable, even. Emma - a waitress covering for a co-worker by doing the dishes - happens upon Derrick. When their eyes meet, Emma does something out of her character. She walks up to him and creates a history right on the spot. Derrick has to play catch up. Yada yada yada, she's looking for a new job. 

It's probably not the best erotic fiction I've read, but it sure as hell blows the pants off the last few short stories I've read - the disappointing ones, anyway. It's available on Amazon and Smashwords for the low, low price of absolutely nothing. That's right, folks. Free. Something worth reading that's also fun, for free. Until next time, keep on huntin'.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, ObservantReader. :) I'll take cute and adorable any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this is a great story. Especially since it is free! I must say, I am a friend of Brandie Buckwine and also a writer. That aside, I love her work. If you like her style, you must absolutely try her novel, "Rhythm in Blue." It may not have the level of erotica found in her free short story, but but her characters are lovable, realistic, and fully developed. I must also say that I make this statement without prompting, and without her knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brandie I'm looking forward to reading more of your work, actually. I just have several books on queue so it might take some time before I get around to them.

    @Ellison Thank you for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind :)

    ReplyDelete