Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Money Well Spent


So that kid from Angels in the Outfield actually grew up into a somebody worth watching. Who would've thought it, hu? Rather than falling into obscurity as it was for most child stars, Joseph Gordon-Levitt has gone from being an alien elder to being Cobra commander to being the guy to have his heart broken by Zooey Deschanel. So is there anything he can't do?

Than answer, it would appear, is no. Well, in the logical, believable area, anyway. Though, I'm sure he could just zip off into the air if he really wanted to.

Here's the story: Five years ago, Joseph Gordon-Levitt - a man who, apparently, I cannot go without saying/typing his entire name whenever mentioning him - started a pet project called HitRECord, which, as of last year became a production company. He goes on to say:
We create and develop art and media collaboratively here on our site. Even this introductory video is the remixed result of a great many contributions. So rather than just exhibiting and admiring each other's work as isolated individuals, we gather here to collectively work on projects together. Videos, writing, photography, music, anything -- we call them all RECords. Now and then, when I think something we've made has come out especially well, I approach the traditional entertainment industry to turn our work into money-making productions; and then we share any profits with the contributing artists.
This project later gave birth to it's first collection, RECollection Vol. 1 - on sale today! I opted to pre-order the set - which included the limited edition record you see next to the book - sometime in the summer. I all but nearly forgot about it until it arrived at my doorstep this morning - hand delivered by the wonderful postal worker himself - Note to self: Bake this man some cookies.

I couldn't wait to rip the package open and devour it entirely. Of course, I was just starting my day of jobless anticipation - I've been answering every phone call in hopes it's an opportunity, but only get bill collectors (which I have half the mind to ask if their hiring). I put it on hold. Snapped the above photo and started off with the DVD which features short films, tiny stories, music videos - my favorite was "They Can't Turn the Lights Off" - and live records. I followed this by reading the book in one sitting - it wasn't that hard, but to digest the magnificent beauty of the images presented upon the pages, mixed in with the words was an overwhelming sensation that I do not think I can fully describe. My personal favorites, oddly, are the first and last features in the book. 

The book itself, actually, reminds of me the children's stories I used to read when I was a kid. The way they were written. It's as if the book is for adults who never stopped being children, as well as, those who forgot how to play. And, while the tales might be a little sketchy, I do plan on reading the first and last entries to my child when s/he is born.

Sadly, however, I cannot review - if that's what I'm doing, anyway - the CD that includes 17 original songs because I haven't gotten that far. But the book is amazing. It's more than amazing. It's probably the best collaborative work I've seen in a long time. 



Morgan M. Morgansen's Date With Destiny, as featured in HitRECord: RECollection Vol. 1

Until next time, keep on huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment