Thursday, September 15, 2011

Random update

Someone was going to tell me about this, right?

Facebook, the other day, decided to drop me an advertisement that finally piqued my attention. The ad was for Story of the Week, a project by The Library of America. Because I'm always finding myself in between books, I decided it was a good idea to subscribe to it since it was free, my favorite word.. Hopefully, I do a better job keeping up with this than I do with Narrative Magazine, also free. 

I started reading The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era by Teressa Iezzi, which is an Advertising Age book. It's a nice read, but it's making me wonder if I'm even cut out for this sort of market. Several friends seem to think it was a good idea to look into it, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. Me, the book hunter, turned copywriter? And let's not fail to mention the way advertising works in this new era - I mean, just look at the title of the book! Still, it's a good book and worth the read, especially if you're a creative or looking to become a creative.

I figured that reading the book might help me a tad with writing those ads I do from time to time. I aimed for a different angle when I wrote an ad post for a spice rack website for my Tumblr account, incorporating a personal - not to mention, very true - story about growing up in a house with a kitchen kept in complete disarray. I'll experiment with the other two ads I have on queue, one of which is for this blog. We'll see how that turns out. I hear the client is a stickler for correct/proper grammar. Which, if you haven't been able to tell, isn't what this blog is known for.

Oh well, until next time, keep on huntin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment