Friday, October 29, 2010

Another post about Amazon's Super Savor Shipping


I came across a blog entitled No Shoe Left Behind the other day. It's written by Allison. Now, and I'm going to be honest here, I didn't read her entire blog, just the post that appeared on my WordPress Dashboard for the City of Chapin blog that I have there. The post's title was something that grabbed my attention: "Super Saver Shipping Sends Book Junkie To Rehab." 

While I'm unsure about Allison's opening statement about Amazon's Super Saver Shipping being "more addictive than chocolate, Glee and a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte combined" - mostly because I don't like Glee or Starbucks - I do agree that the offer is quite breathtaking. Most of my college grant money went into $25 or more shopping sprees on the online bookstore - this is, of course, before I mastered the art of saving money. 

For my senior philosophy essay, most, if not all, my books were purchased on Amazon with the aim of saving on shipping by buying a buttload of books. Here's a list of what I bought at the tail end of 2007:
The last one obviously doesn't belong (it was a X-mas gift for my mother). And I'm sure I purchased other things along with these items - mostly all X-mas gifts - that I've left off the list. The point is, these weren't all purchased at the same time. Not in one big bulk but in several $25+ bulks. I tacked on X-mas gifts to fill up the missing dollars. To this day, I still do that whenever ordering straight from Amazon, which isn't a constant thing for me). 

I see it from the point of view that if I'm going to spend extra money, I might as well be getting something in return. Why pay shipping and get nothing when you can tack on that extra novel or DVD, pay a little more and - POOF! - the shipping's free. It's not rational to most people, I know. But to the book hunter (or junkie, depending on the view of yourself) it's the most rational thing ever. 

That is of course, until you start noticing bank account's balances is teetering on the brink. Oh well, until next time. Keep on huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment