Sunday, August 1, 2010

3 Value Books & A New One Impromptu Book Hunt



I'm in trouble if Jyg finds out and, believe you me, she will find out. See I'm not supposed to buy any books for a period of time because money's scarce and my temporary job's expiration date is closing in. But how can you keep a book hunter at bay, really? Especially when it was my intention of purchasing $25.90 on four books? I was just going to browse titles. Maybe pick up Body Double by Tess Gerritsen or A Gathering of Crows by Brian Keene. Perhaps both.

I did manage to find a copy of Body Double by Tess Gerritsen, but the copy was a little beaten up. I don't mind dog-eared copies if I'm buying used, but, when it comes to paying full price, I like to be the one who wear down my books. However, I do manage to find several untouched copies of Keene's A Gathering of Crows which I pick up and add to my small pile.

The first book I see is And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer, which acts as a sequel to Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Value priced at $4.98, how could I pass up this find? 

Second book I found was a little on the naughty side, but I like naughty. Filthy Shakespeare by Pauline Kiernan. Also a value book, priced at $4.98. 

After picking up Keene's book, I was heading off to pay before my pile grew when my eye caught the gray spine of Kurt Vonnegut's Armageddon in Retrospect. A war was waged within me. To buy the book would me I'd be jumping in on an opportunity of paying $5.98 for a hardcover. To put it off meant that I might be losing a chance of owning it. You see, this book wasn't on the discount table like most books are at Barnes & Noble. This was in that cart. You know the one. The cart of last copies. I sucked air through my teeth and picked it up. I don't regret it either. At the checkout counter, the man clicked his tongue on his teeth and said, "This was the last copy, wasn't it?" I nodded, "Pretty sure, that's why I picked it up." "It's my own fault. I should've picked it up when I had the chance."

Until next time, keep on huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment