Saturday, August 6, 2011

Age of Apocalypse The Complete Epic Book 1 & 2

A few posts ago, I decided to revive my childhood through comic books graphic novels from my youth. It started with Spider-Man's Maximum Carnage saga and now ends with Age of Apocalypse

For reasons I cannot explain, I ceased my reading of Tess Gerritsen's The Silent Girl to continue with this task.

The first book on the slate collects X-Men Chronicles #1 & #2, Tales from the Age of Apocalypse: By the Light, X-Man #-1 & '96 Annual, Tales from the Age of Apocalypse: Sinister Bloodlines and Blink #1-4. 

While the first collection does include some canon essential to the entire plot of the Age of Apocalypse saga, I find no use for the X-Man Annual and the Blink miniseries. If anything, they only add in the filler necessary to make it seem less of a rip-off. I managed to read most of it, but opted out from reading Blink. If I have the time, or decide it's essential to me, I'll read it later. 

Unlike the first collection, the second book to the Age of Apocalypse epic collects essential X-Men titles - X-Men: Alpha, Age of Apocalypse: The Chosen, Generation Next #1, Astonishing X-Men #1, X-Calibre #1, Gambit and the X-Ternals #1-2, Weapon X #1-2, Amazing X-Men #1-2, Factor X #1-2 and X-Man #1.

This book places - to its best - each title in chronological order. With the exception of the one-shot title, Age of Apocalypse The Chosen, which serves no greater purpose than to introduce us to the key players of this reality - Earth-295.

In a world thrown into the midst of chaos, an eugenics war rages on. Humans against a superior race of mutants who want to dominate the entire planet. Only a few rebels band together to aid the humans and fight against the ancient mutant known throughout the lands as Apocalypse. Led by Erik Lehnsherr - better known as Magneto - these rebels are known as the X-Men.

In an age where Charles Xavier's dream was never realized, Magneto and his X-Men attempt to see it through. Hoping that they can make the difference before the world comes to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment