Friday, July 8, 2011

"Ghosts can't haunt you unless you allow them."

Harry Osborn - the second Green Goblin - is dead and Peter Parker's - as well as, Spider-Man's - will never be the same. Grieving the loss of his friend, he promises Mary Jane to stop being Spider-Man for a while. Little do they know that over at Ravencroft - a maximum security facility for the criminally insane - a naive doctor just released a most ruthless killer - Cletus Kasady, Carnage. Collecting like-minded psychopaths, Carnage and his "family" start terrorizing the city, leaving Peter to break a promise and team up with his greatest foe.

I was ten when the Maximum Carnage story arc began. It was also first story arc I was ever introduced in the world of graphic novels - ahem! comic books. (The second taking place a few years after with the Age of Apocalypse.) 

Looking at it now, I can remember what I loved about the arc. However, it's not the same feeling I got when I was ten - go figure. It seems that the story gets too wordy - for instance, Spider-Man's internal monologue gives us the information rather than letting us come up with it alone. And the moral - for lack of the better word - is what you find in a lot of the old story arcs - despite all that surrounds us, there is still good in the world and it's worth fighting for (whoa! talk about Lord of the Rings). All in all, the book is still a fun read.

In unrelated book news, I received my copy of The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen, the newest novel in her Rizzoli and Isles series. I'll crack it open the moment I finish Weeping Underwater Looks A Lot Like Laughter. Or maybe I'll just read The Silent Girl instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment