Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'll "refudiate" this later

I stray from politics on this blog because I feel it offers no insight with books - except when they deal with politics, of course. I don't want to read Decision Points by George W. Bush because I think it'll be comical. I do want to know what went on inside of the man who managed to ruin this country's economy, our foreign relations and our education system. I also want to know how he makes an attempt to justify his war crimes. I also hold a morbid curiosity when it comes to Glenn Beck's Common Sense and anything by Ann Coulter. Not because I think they're liars - they're sensationalists who have no business making commentary on current politics - but because I like to know what the other side has to say.

I think the worse thing that came out of the 2008 Presidential Elections wasn't the mudslingers or the muckrakers, but a female vice president candidate. Sarah Palin has been a thorn in my political side. The "mis-educated" think she's a step forward. Others know she's several steps backwards. For the country and its women.

Comedian Tina Fey said it best in her acceptance speech for her Mark Twain Prize:

And, you know, politics aside, the success of Sarah Palin and women like her is good for all women-except, of course-those who will end up, you know, like, paying for their own rape 'kit 'n' stuff.' But for everybody else, it's a win-win. Unless you're a gay woman who wants to marry your partner of 20 years-whatever. But for most women, the success of conservative women is good for all of us. Unless you believe in evolution. You know-actually, I take it back. The whole thing's a disaster.

Of course, PBS cut it out due 'to time restrictions' and not something like political correctness. Luckily, the clip has been posted online and you can watch it here:

Watch the full episode. See more Mark Twain Prize.


Nothing good or intelligent has ever spewed from Sarah Palin's mouth. And I'm not saying this as a liberal, I'm saying this as an American. Yet, people consider her a great role model, the future of politics. Unlike Ann Coulter - someone I secretly suspect knows all her crap is just that - I think Sarah Palin believes everything she says is fact, despite the evidence against it. She's done more harm to the GOP than she has good, though I'm sure they ignore that.

When the cable network TLC gave her a nature show, I thought they might've been joking about it. What insight can she offer? How to destroy the environment? What shocked me the most was Oxford English Dictionary electing the made-up word "refudiate" as the word of the year. For years I have respected the OED, but now I'm questioning their decision. Wondering what goes into it. Are they attempting to make her more popular, lovable? Is this an attempt to make seem "smart" by insisting she's a word maker?

I fear the worse for the future of education and politics if Sarah Palin somehow manages to get elected as a presidential candidate. More so if she wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment