Thursday, June 2, 2011

Designer Brand Dexter

It's like a car wreck. The more I deny myself a glance, the more I want to see how large is the casualty count. I don't know where Jeff Lindsay originally wanted to take his character Dexter Morgan - not to be confused with Dexter Morgan from Showtime's Dexter (though, they are, technically, the same character) - but this isn't going so well for me. If asked what I thought about the books, I'm sure Jeff Lindsay would describe me as - and I'm paraphrasing here - "He opened and closed his mouth a couple of times," or "He wanted to say something, but didn't."

I'll admit it, though. Dexter by Design is better than the abortion known as Dexter in the Dark. But nothing can really save the novel series for me after the introduction of the supernatural - yeah, I'm still dwelling on the whole Moloch thing. It's not something you can quickly forget, either. 

Lindsay doesn't touch on the subject in this novel, but it's mentioned. And rather than keeping the storyline in motion, I feel like Lindsay's writing for the sake of stringing along fans rather than entertaining them. There's so much more that I would like to say, but I think my reviews of the Dexter Morgan series are becoming repetitive, so it's probably best just to glance back and figure out my thoughts yourself.

Up next isn't Dexter is Delicious, but L.E. Modesitt, Jr's Legacies - the first book of the Corean Chronicles - which was lent to me by Roadrunner pitcher, Aaron Guerra. Well, until next time. Happy huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment