Saturday, March 6, 2010

The book sale was a bust & other reads


Deviating from the $5 or $3 annual per-bag-book-sale, the Friends of the McAllen Library charged us per item this year. With the minimum selection they had, I don't blame them. However, I did grimace. But the books were still virtually cheap - $1 hardback, $.50 paperbacks, DVDs, VHS & audio. I came away with $8 dollars worth of books. They are:

Afterward, I headed over to the nearest Barnes & Noble to do one final book pick up for the season (yeah, right!), Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene. Today's total price, $16.65. Not bad, book hunter, not bad at all. 

Also added to the library on Thursday night was Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. I got wrapped up in the hype of the film - though I haven't seen it - that I figured I'd read the book. Along with this book, I purchased the March 2010 issue of Spin featuring, America's favorite mother, Courtney Love on its cover. [Side note: Is it just me, or does Courtney Love look like the long lost Olsen twins' possible older sister?]

Along with the books purchased today, I received three magazines in the mail. The Feb/Mar 2010 issue of Hispanic - I'M JUST GETTING THIS NOW?! - and two - read TWO - issues of Maxim, the February and the March 2010 issues featuring Amanda Bynes scantily clad  on one and Kaley Cuoco on the other. 

Truth be told, however, I don't know why I have a subscription to Maxim. While I love magazines, I don't particularly care for Maxim. I'm not a guy's guy. And I must say that seeing Amanda Bynes scantily is rather disturbing. Not that her body's deformed or anything, it's just that my nephew made me watch hours of her show when she was doing sketch comedy on Nick. Not to mention my years of watching What I Like About You. Same goes for Kaley Cuoco (8 Simple Rules, Big Bang Theory). But again, to each their own. I like books, other men like scantily clad celebrities they watched grow up. 


See something you like? Order/Subscribe online:


No comments:

Post a Comment