Sunday, January 20, 2013

What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones

I had this book sitting on my shelf for several years already. I remember I purchased it as part of my banned-book-week hunt. Flipped through it a couple of times, but never really fully embracing the book. Because of my recent book ADD (the grey area between reading books where nothing seems to capture my attention), I randomly just picked it up. Next thing I knew, I was already half way through.

Written in verse, the book chronicles high school student, Sophie, through her misadventures of being a teenage girl who falls in and out of love at a whim. Sonya Sones mixes the universal teenage problems--depression, bullying, seeking acceptance, parental disagreements, love, issues in cyberspace, etc. It's well written, just not my cup of tea.

Why it landed on my banned-book list that year is quite obvious, though I find it silly.

While Sones illustrates a vapid teenage girl in the eyes of some of the younger readers--i.e. the target audience--it's obvious that there's nothing exaggerated about Sophie.

What My Mother Doesn't Know is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Thrift Books (cheapest, free shipping). An e-book edition is available for Kindle and Nook. Until next time, keep on huntin'.

A Brighter Read for a Lighter Price. The NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight now just $199

Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment