Sunday, June 27, 2010

Written on the Body

Jeanette Winterson, just another name dropped on the blog turned social network site simply know as Tumblr. I promised myself I wouldn't do this again, didn't I? Said I wouldn't pick up another book Tumblr ever suggested, ignore the authors they're in love with because it only leaves me feeling disappointed. You can imagine the anxiety I had as I turned each page of Winterson's Written on the Body. With every page, I expected some lame plot device, some obvious revelation before its time. I expected to read the kind of books teenagers treat as biblicial. 

Tumblr finally got something right. 

Now Winterson may not have a unique voice - time to time, I kept thinking I was reading something by Philip Roth - but I'm going to make the assumption that, while this is a good book, it isn't one that allows her own voice to shine - though it does dazzle at the corners of every paragraph. With that in mind, I've decided to give Gut Symmetries a go.

Written on the Body is a book of love, but it's not a love story. Tragic at times, realistic all together. This isn't something you'll find in the romance section - though I did find it in the erotic section at Mike's Shop, so I don't know what to think of that. It isn't erotic, per se. It has its moments of tense scenes of carnal pleasures, but the focus isn't on the erotic. Rather, it's placed on the narrator - whose identity or sex is never stated - and the beloved, a married woman by the name of Louise. 

At times, I guessed the narrator had to be a woman - this is my prejudice, however, when it comes to female writers (and one I'm sure Jyg would punch me for). Second guessing myself when the erotic passages crossed my eye and third guessing when boyfriends of past were introduced. Still, it's easier on my imagination to create a woman out of Winterson's words. 

Easily to relate to no matter your sex or gender, it's a book that should be found on your shelf, or at least cracked open once in you life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment