Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson

It's almost a crime, how little I've been focusing on reading anything. I lost motivation and interest in books. And this blog, which is focused on books and book related subjects, is suffering severely.

I picked up Hunter S. Thompson's long lost novel, The Rum Diary, at The Book Stop located in McAllen, Texas. The store, which deals in mostly thrift books wrapped in plastic to protect their aging pages, normally charges out of my price line, but every now and again, I find a used book worth the extra couple of dollars. This book, the first edition published in 1998, cost me ten bones. It was worth it.

Gonzo writer, Hunter S. Thompson sends us on a banal adventure of journalist Paul Kemp. There's nothing beautiful in this book, there is no deeper love story, and none of the characters learn much of anything except how to appreciate rum and drink rum and get drunk on rum and travel to drink more rum and get shitfaced on rum and appreciate pubic hair on a girl high off her mind while they sip down paper cups filled with–you got it!–rum. And despite that I don't appreciate the marvels that alcohol brings, I want to visit Puerto Rico regardless.

Thompson has a way with words, even with his dry prose. Any true reader will find something to love about this book. I have to assume the rest of you only wanted to read the book after watching the Johnny Depp flick.

You can pick up a copy of the long lost novel at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. It is also available for Kindle and Nook.

Stock Images

No comments:

Post a Comment