Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Snapshot #6

From The Writers Handbook edited by A.S. Burack
Dustin M. Sekula Memorial Library - my place of employment - has done something terrible to me. And by terrible, I mean f**king wonderful! And by wonderful, I mean a 25-cent book sale. No. That's not some cosmic typo. All books are actually 25 cents a piece. That's four for a dollar. Doesn't matter if it's a hardback, a trade paperback, or a mass market paperback. And all the trashy romance novels were at 10 cents yesterday.

Now you're probably wondering how a guy like me got to be so lucky. Well, it started Saturday when the Friends of the Library had their book sale. It was fairly inexpensive. Because I'm such an awesome fella - mostly because I work there - I got my books for $10, despite the fact that I had more than in books. Because not all books were sold - and we have a huge surplus of donated books we have no use for - it was decided Monday to start dropping the price. Lucky, hu? 

Here's what I have as of today:
  1. The Hot Kid
  2. 52 Pick Up
  3. Mr. Paradise
  4. Unknown Man #89 by Elmore Leonard
  5. Airframe
  6. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
  7. The Hobbit
  8. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
  9. Dead Until Dark
  10. Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris
  11. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
  12. Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie
  13. The Crucible by Arthur Miller
  14. The Humanoids by Jack Williamson
  15. The Inquisition by Edward Burman
  16. 50 Essays: A Portable Anthology 2nd Edition edited by Samuel Cohen
  17. Summerland by Michael Chabon
  18. Nobody Move by Denis Johnson
  19. Dianetics: The Original Thesis by L. Ron Hubbard
  20. 9/11 Report by Thomas H. Kean, Chair and Lee H. Hamilton, Vice Chair w/reporting and anaylsis by The New York Times
  21. Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverley Cleary
  22. Nightingale's Lament by Simon R. Green
  23. Animal Farm by George Orwell
  24. American Gangster by Max Allan Collins
  25. We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
  26. A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley
  27. Grendel by John Gardner
  28. A Short Guide to Writing about Literature 10th edition edited by Sylvan Barnet and William E. Cain
  29. The Alienist by Caleb Carr
  30. The Giver by Lois Lowry
  31. Oxford by Paul Streitz
  32. Deathbell by Guy Smith
  33. Bone: The Great Cow Race by Jeff Smith
  34. The Professor of Desire by Philip Roth
  35. The MacMillan Reader 3rd Edition edited by Judith Nadell, John Langan, and Linda McMeniman
  36. Futurelove: Science Fiction Triad edited by Roger Elwood(?)
  37. The Last Empire: Essays 1992-2000 by Gore Vidal
  38. The Writer's Handbook edited by A.S. Burack
  39. Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense 5th edition edited by Laurence Perrine
As you can see, I have a lust for books. I'm a book slut, and I take that without shame. While my loved ones might not understand my need for books, I know in my heart there are more like me out there. I have a love for knowledge. There are books excluded from here, of course. Books I purchased for others or books I've loaned to others shortly after I bought them. They'll find their way to this page soon enough.

Well, I'm off to read something from an anthology. Which one? I don't know. Until next time, keep on huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment