Friday, June 1, 2012

Two Children's Books

Taken during peace time
For those of you not following the blog, I work in the Children's Department of the local library. Because I'm also the father of a two-month-old, colicky son, I don't have much time to read big boy books anymore. This blog has suffered greatly because of my job and my new role in life. It's worth it, believe you me.  When I do get a sliver of chance to read, it's usually when I'm shelving books at work. So if this morphs into a children's book blog, well, so be it.

I've read a few books already, come to think of it. None of them seemed worth mentioning outside of I Want My Hat Back, but I still haven't figured out a way to review that book and give it justice without giving away too much. Because I've never reviewed children's books before, I sought advice from Cover to Cover. The irony, of course, is that I have not time to read that book.

Well, here goes nothing.


The Boy Who Cried Ninja by Alex Latimer

Alex Latimer delivers a comical spin to the classic "The Boy Who Cried Wolf," all the while keeping its intended moral. In it, Time has a problem. He's telling the truth but his his parents still punish him for all the things going wrong. Is it his fault the truth is so fantastical? Why is it so hard for them to accept that a ninja finished the last of the cake? Or that a sunburned crocodile broke the TV antenna?

Let's be honest, the title drove me to the book. I couldn't help it. If a children's book contains the "ninja" or "zombie" in the title, I'm picking it up. 99.9% (thus far) I put it right down. But Latimer offers us something great. Something that parents would have fun reading to their little ones and readers as old as third-grade (possibly older, but I'm winging the age recommendation here) can relate to. On the plus side, children will adhere to the message of telling the truth no matter what. I think that's something we can all relate to, no?

I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll

Think Monsters, Inc. Got that image? Well, this is better than that. The fact that it's a book sends it over the wall.

When Ethan checks under his bed, he learns that Gabe - his monster - has gone fishing. Ethan grows worried. How will ever fall asleep knowing a monster - his monster - isn't hiding underneath the bed?

Amanda Noll shows us a camaraderie between a boy and his monster that charms the  heart. It's funny and an enjoyable read. And it just might be the proper medicine for the boogieman blues for the little one. Let's not forget the message of excepting no substitutes when it comes to one's best friend (or in this case, best monster).

You can purchase both books at Amazon and Barnes and Noble using their respective links below:
Until next time, happy huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment