Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Kick-Ass by Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr.

So I purchased Kick-Ass on BluRay the other day. It was at discount. Included digital download and the DVD. Awesome, right? Right. As I watched it for the seventeenth time, I came to a shocking realization. I've never read the comic book. Egads! What sort of fan boy am I? A terrible one, that's what! I hopped on Amazon and saw that Kick-Ass 2 was available for pre-order (it's on sale now, by the way) so I picked up that, too. I don't know where this money is coming from because I have a two-month-old and I'm not supposed to do this impromptu shopping anymore. Damnit! I still managed to hit checkout.

Remember when I read Wanted after being convinced to after watching the movie? Remember how I said that when it came down to it, you're better off watching the movie? Remember how much I hated myself for saying that? Well, get ready for take two of that. Yes. With Kick-Ass, you're probably better off watching the movie instead. That is, unless, you like the gritty realism the book contains.

Mark Millar's not about the Hollywood ending. Not about the whole Hollywood beginning, either. In Kick-Ass he presents something in-your-face, and is not afraid to hold the sugarcoating. Sure, there are times when I felt the story just dragged - which is a feat as it only contains seven chapters - but it has something the movie doesn't have - realism. Wait, I said that already.

And if Millar's realistic take of a bored teenager turned superhero doesn't appeal to you, then the blood and grit of John Romita, Jr. is - for lack of a better phrase - to die for.

So okay, it might not be the best graphic novel you'll ever read. But goddamn, is it one worth reading.

Kick-Ass is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. While you're at it, pick up a copy of Kick-Ass 2.

Until next time, keep on huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment