Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Zombie in the Library by Michael Dahl

A few months ago, a coworker told me that we were required to write reviews for the books in our department. Having read several of the books in my youth, I didn't see this as a problem - I just had to do a quick refresher on them. The reviews were never written. And I nearly forgot about the subject entirely until the children's librarian sent an e-mail. Since then, I've been hounding several books in the department to see which will be my first victim. 

Now there are only two things that pique my interest in books - erotica and zombies. Now - thankfully - the children's department is void of erotica, so zombies were my first choice. It just so happens that I happened upon Michael Dahl's Zombie in the Library, which is part of his Return to the Library of Doom series. 

I've never written a review for anything other than this blog and Good Reads, so writing a review that would capture the attention of a child or a parent is not an easy task. Especially if I want to encourage them to check the book out. I'm willing to try anything once.

The following is the actual review I wrote for the children's library webpage, which is being updated as we speak.

Adam is determined to buy a classic movie monster book for his mother's birthday. Not even something like an electrical storm will deter him. Little does he know that the storm has brought several old books to life, creating a library book zombie. Part of the Return to the Library of Doom series, Michael Dahl uses the power of sound to curdle the blood in our veins in this bone-chilling tale. And using his gift of illustration, Bradford Kendall brings the horror to life. What are you waiting for? Go pick up Zombie in the Library today, and, while you're at it, be sure to check out other chilling titles in the series.
The review still needs reviewing - weird, right? - so I don't expect to get it right the first time around. This is just the concept of my understanding. Anyway, moving on.

I did like the book, don't get me wrong. It's just not my bag. So from an adult standpoint, it's a drag. From a child's standpoint, R.L. Stein's stuff is way creepier. From a parent/educator's opinion, well, it's actually a great book for children beginning chapter books. Michael Dahl uses onomatopoeia to create the chilling sensations. Coupled with the doodles and illustrations of Bradford Kendall, we get the complete story.

It's a book worth reading or gifting for a young one. And it receives my stamp of approval! Until next time, keep on huntin'.

Zombie in the Library is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble (cheapest).  

No comments:

Post a Comment