Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Random March Update

Having an advance copy makes me feel so gosh darn important
My reading "dry spell" has put a damper on so much lately. It's leaving me wondering whether or not this blog will last another year - which is probably why I opted to add in music and film reviews along side. However, the a few weeks ago, I was at Barnes and Noble with Jyg when I spied a novel entitled Vixen. Because I'm a fan of the flapper generation - I long to live in the 1920s - I made a note of it and made sure to check it out later. 

As it turns out, Jillian Larkin's novel revolves around three female characters is written for a young adult audience - a far cry from sparkling vampires and wizards. First there's Gloria who takes the chance of one last attempt of complete and utter freedom by going to the Green Mill, a speakeasy owned by Al Capone. With her wedding to her ultra conservative fiancé, Bastian, in the horizon, she begins to second guess her emotions when she meets piano player, Jerome Johnson. Along side her is Lorraine, best friend. Lorraine's world is slowly crumbling as she realizes that once Gloria is married, she will be alone in the world. Hoping to catch the eye of young Marcus Eastman, she works hard at out-doing and outshining her friend. Clara, on the other hand, is a true flapper where as her cousin, Gloria, and Lorraine are just privilege, white girls playing around. However, Clara is running away from her old flapper life in New York and hopes to renew herself. Unbeknown to her cousin, Clara isn't the good, farm girl she presents herself to be. Things start rolling as both Gloria and Lorraine, along with Marcus, cook up a plan to get rid of Clara. 

Here, watch the trailer: 



Because nothing says I love you like Zombies
In other news, I've received my "advance uncorrected proofs" copy of Doc: A Novel by Mary Doria Russell this evening, which is set to be released on 3 May 2011 by Random House. Because of the release date, I won't be able to post a review until after it's released - the cover tells me so. That gives me plenty of time, but I plan to read it after I'm done with Vixen.

A far cry from the 1920s, Doc takes place in the wild west, following the story of Doc Holliday and his unlikely friendship with Wyatt Earp. This, of course, takes place before they did anything legendary. 

Along side Doc, I hope to start reading my birthday present - my birthday was this past Sunday - that Jyg gave me: Hungry for Your Love: An Anthology of Zombie Romance.

I'll do my best to post something about the movies I've been watching and my thoughts on the finale (and series 5 overview) of Skins - for some odd reason I feel like I should comment on a British teen drama. Until next time, keep on huntin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment