Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Poetry Reading & An Impromptu Book Hunt


The Dustin Michael Sekula Memorial Library hosted another night of reading, and it was great seeing old friends again. Sadly, El Senor couldn't make it. In fact, several people who said they would try to were no shows. It's something I'm beginning to become accustomed to. It's okay, I don't go to their readings either.

Getting there, I started to feel the old familiar itch. There was a book out there for me; I just had to find it. Thinking I might hit pay dirt by finding a copy of Rant by Palahniuk in the used shelf, I instead found a half-priced, new copy of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Chronicle of a Death Foretold - a book that previously graced my bookshelf in college while I was enrolled in Jose Skinner's American novel class.  I can't remember why I sold it - I either needed the cash (which I wouldn't gotten much for it) or because I thought I didn't like - which is more likely to be the case. Either way, I got a new copy of it to sit down with later and read. 

Moving along to the used bookshelf, I found an aging copy of The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison - an author I was introduced to during Skinner's class (we read Sula). As I was about to check out, from the corner of my eye I caught the sight of another awesome find - one I had been looking for since before Hastings shut its doors - The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff. Total price? $7.90, meaning the latter two books were fifty cents a piece.

Reading, blues music and book hunting - I should say this day was awesome. What made it even better was, I didn't have to go into work due to the thunderstorm that moved in this morning. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment