Monday, May 20, 2013

The Walking Dead Compendium Two by Robert Kirkman & Charlie Adlard

I wanted to put off reading Compendium Two for the next pay check. Even at a discount price, this undead tome is still quite expensive. After my sudden coming to for Kirkman's zombie bestseller, I couldn't hold back my urge. Rather than buying it at my usual hunting grounds (online or Barnes & Noble), I purchased this guy at Walmart. No need wiping your computer screen, I bought this guy at the super-center for $4.31 more than I would have paid at Barnes & Noble online. What can I say? I love instant gratification over savings.

I'm almost certain that I devoured the second forty-eight issues faster than the first. The story opens after the attack on the prison, with Rick and Carl pushing forward after the death of two loved ones. Kirkman opens the door for a darker passage of time, where are heroes see their truer selves. On the brink of insanity and survival instinct, Kirkman touches on something very little zombie movies and books feature, human nature. Where the reasoning and rationalizing ends and the justification for the evils we're forced to in order to survive out in the undead wilderness. Rick is pushed into trusting new members and a new community, and pushed passed his limits. In the end, he comes to realize his purpose in the world. And it's not one we were expecting. At least, not me.

Laying off on Kirkman's writing with this book. Either I'm getting used to it, or he learned to share the storytelling with artist Charlie Adlard. Adlard's work is haunting, depicting every annoyance, every forced smile, every bit of anger the characters convey. It's an amazing body of work, and I'm a fool for doubting it in the past. And as an act of contrition, I will force everyone who hasn't read these books to do so.

The Walking Dead Compendium Two is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Until next time, keep on huntin'.

Stock Images

No comments:

Post a Comment