Friday, October 2, 2009

Nueva Onda Poets return


After a few months' slumber, the Nueva Onda Poets returned to the Dustin Michael Sekula Memorial Library for a reading. The spotlight reader was Richard Sanchez (photographed above) who also acted as the MC for the rest of us. Some new faces were in the crowd, as well as, a few original readers. It was like a family reunion.

Richard read a few of his pieces and gave out copies of the May/June issue of The Journal of Texas Trophy Hunters, which contains his story (or can we call it an essay?), "El Diablo."

I read a "chilling" story, loosely based on a story my grandfather told me when I was a kid. It's a work in process, but I managed to get out a clean copy for the reading.

In other news, because I arrived early to the library, I camped in a corner (where the DVDs are - why there's a couch where the DVDs are is beyond me) and thumbed through Homer & Langley by E.L. Doctorow. A few pages in, I decided to check it out.

Because I turned in No Country for Old Men late, I was prepared myself to pay a fine. Oddly, I didn't get one. Didn't faze me much, but I did recall my annoyance with myself for turning it in late in the first place.

I'm sure the book will be devoured before the the two weeks. See you then.



No comments:

Post a Comment